So there I was, not having any shows to review today or articles I wanted to write (felt like I needed a rest after my first Christianime feature), thinking today would be a sleepy day for my blog. And now here I am, responding to not just one, but TWO nominations for awards from other bloggers!
I’ve only been blogging for a little over a month and the site was just a random bunch of editorials until recently (with weekly reviews and features beginning a few days ago), so I’d like to give a massive thanks to nikki over at nikkinootaku.wordpress.com for nominating me for the Sunshine Award and Matthew over at matthew903.wordpress.com for nominating me for the Real Neat Blog Award. I hope it’s okay that I’m responding to both awards with one post, mostly to celebrate the fact that I got them almost at the same time which really made my day. ^o^
Without further ado:
The rules of each award are pretty much the same, so for getting either the Sunshine Award or the Real Neat Blog Award, you need to:
1) Thank the person who nominated you and link to their blog.
2) Answer the questions from the person who nominated you.
3) Nominate any number of bloggers for the same award, linking to their blogs.
4) Ask those bloggers the same number of questions you were asked for each award.
5) Notify those bloggers on their blogs.
6) Put the award/badge/thing on your blog.
First, the Sunshine Award
Below are nikki’s questions and my answers – thanks again for the nomination!
1) What, or who, makes you genuinely smile?
Lots of things! But if I had to pick one, it would have to be whenever I talk to the friend I made while having interviews for Oxford University. We kept in touch after talking a lot over the period you have to stay there, and now we both have offers to the same college! It would be even better if she liked anime, but oh well – that’s something I’ll have to work on as I get to know her more in person. I’ll make an otaku out of her yet! >v<
2) What’s one of your favourite books or films that you’d like to see turned into anime? (I’m asking this because I’d be so thrilled if anybody ever thought to turn the Harry Potter books into an anime series…perhaps without the loopholes in the story).
Anything by Neil Gaiman – although Coraline already has a fantastic stop-motion animation. Something like The Graveyard Book would work great as a small episodic series, and both that and Neverwhere would look fantastic if shaft has a go at animating them. I can’t help but think of Gaiman’s style whenever I see the witch’s world in Madoka.
3) What’s your catchphrase? (or a couple of them, if you can’t choose)
I have a habit of always greeting people by saying ‘heyo!’, even though the internet says I should only do that when I’m excited to see them. It’s just something that’s stuck with me over time, I guess.
4) If, at the moment you are reading a book, write the line you last read; if you’re listening to a song, write the line that’s being sung; if you’re doing neither of these, write one of your favourite quotes, be it from an anime or book or film or anything, really.
“You’d fit perfectly to me, we’d end our loneliness, melt this curse away
Though I’ll never know your name I’ll cry for you the same.”
‘Fresh Static Snow’ by Porter Robinson – he played Anime Expo a few days ago!
5) What’s the weirdest déjà vu you’ve ever experienced? (Yes, they’re all weird by nature, I know).
I once had a dream which only involved me turning off my alarm, and then my alarm went off to interrupt that dream and I turned it off and thought ‘wait, I just did this’. xD
6) What’s the last thing you do before going to bed? (Please don’t think of pervy stuff!)
I tell myself that I’ll go to bed sooner tomorrow – I’m always staying up way past midnight without much reason to, unless I’m finishing off a blog post late, and even then that’s something I should have done earlier in the day. I pretty much miss the morning every day because of my bad going-to-bed habits. Hopefully that’ll change if I can get a job this summer. :)
7) What’s an anime series that’s very close and dear to your heart, due to someone you have watched it with? (If you can’t choose one, you’re allowed two, but no more than that)
I still haven’t finished Cowboy Bebop, but it was the first series me and my sister fell in love with watching it together. At first we could only find the first five episodes to buy locally, so I ended up eventually busting my small bank account to buy her the whole remastered series for her birthday. I’ve never seen her happier than the moment she unwrapped that boxset. :’) She’s taking a break from anime at the moment though, so I have to wait until I can continue watching it with her.
And now for Matt’s questions – thanks again for nominating me!
1) What inspired you to become a blogger?
Reading other people’s reviews and and blogs and thinking how much I’d like to have a project like that myself, but also the number of great Christian anime blogs I kept seeing everywhere. I wanted to grow a blog that would both be a great place for reviews and a way of connecting with the Christian aniblogger community.
2) What is your favorite season (Spring, Summer, Fall, or Winter)?
Nothing beats summer for me, even though most of my fashion sense is more suited to colder weather. But maybe that’s because I’m British and our sunny days never last long. >< I just love how it makes everything feel more relaxed, giving me more time to be myself and do creative things like reading books, writing stories and poetry and running this blog.
3) What is your favorite Disney Movie?
I’m one of those strange creatures who isn’t much of a Disney fan, but their collaborations with Pixar have almost always ticked all my boxes. I’d have to say that either Wall-E or The Incredibles is my favourite of the films they’ve been behind, both for their fantastic appeal whatever age you are, transcending generations like Shakespeare transcended social classes.
4) What was your favorite video game as a child?
Am I still a child? Maybe. I’m only just about to start uni, so I guess anything I’ve played in the last 18 years can qualify. That being said, the only game I can and will ever consider my favourite is Dark Souls, since it taught me more about perseverance than real life ever has. Plus it’s the kind of experience that couldn’t work in any other form or medium.
5) What is your favorite type of music?
I’m ridiculously eclectic – one moment I’ll be listening to some dark synthwave a la Carpenter Brut, and the next I’ll be relaxing to some Radiohead, and then I’ll be bouncing along to whatever kawaii tunes have found their way onto my SoundCloud. Overall, though, I’d say I like music that does cool things with electronics the most – not much of what goes for mainstream ‘EDM’ nowadays, more what crawls through the underground championed by small DJs with more personal approaches to what they play. Deadmau5, Porter Robinson, Ryan Hemsworth, to name a few.
6) Would you consider yourself a Marvel fan or DC comics fan?
The only DC comics I’ve read are Neil Gaiman’s Sandman comics and The Killing Joke. Since those combined are enough to render anything Marvel can do obsolete, I’ll have to go with DC.
7) Who is your favorite actor/actress?
Can I pick Chloë Grace Moretz back when she was a kid? Hollywood seemed to have spoiled her, but she was by far the most amazing child actress to have ever existed when she took on the role of Hit-Girl in Kick-Ass.
That’s all the questions – now to ask some of my own! These apply to both those I nominate for the Sunshine Award and the Real Neat Blog Award, though I’ll be nominating different bloggers for each.
1) Who or what got you to start watching your first anime?
2) What do you think is your most controversial opinion about anime/manga?
3) What song do you wish could be an anime opening or ending?
4) Has a show ever impacted your beliefs or values in an important way?
5) What’s the most exciting thing you’ve been a part of?
6) Which show do you wish your life was more like?
7) What’s your biggest goal in life, and how do you plan to achieve it?
Thanks once again to those who nominated me! I’ll be sure to get the badges on my site as soon as I can remember how to fiddle about with wordpress. I look forward to everyone I nominated answering my questions!
Finally, a massive thanks to everyone who reads this blog, liking, commenting and making we want to keep doing this for as long as I have bandwidth! Arigatou gozaimasu!!!